There are many free and commercial screencasting products. For this Thing, we are going to focus on a free tool called Screen-O-Matic that does not require a download. That makes it easy for everyone to use. (Some of the screencasting tools requiring a download are Jing, Camtasia, and Wink. Another free tool that does not require a download is ScreenToaster.)
Here is a video that describes how to use this tool.
Here is a quick screencast that demonstrates how to hide your desktop icons.
Using Screen-o-matic, create a brief screencast. It doesn't need to be longer than 15-30 seconds. Ideas:
- How to:
- Post to your blog
- Embed a photo in blog post
- Change your desktop background
- Show us your holiday/birthday/vacation photos
- You get the idea—Just about anything
- First, go to Screen-O-Matic and press the “Create” button to record your video. (Notice that you can minimize the web page and still record video.)
- Once you are done recording your video, you can “Upload to SOM” (Screen-O-Matic). You need to create an account to do this, but it’s free. (You can also upload to YouTube if you have an account.)
- Finally provide a link on your blog to the video you create or if you’re up for a challenge, embed the video in your blog post for this Thing.